Family Footsteps

Family Footsteps

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Memory Lane

I've been going through boxes that have been in our attic and are now starring at me in the basement. There have been so many things I just can't believe we've never thrown away. There is also stuff that is hard to see go, but that I'm finally sending off to Goodwill.
I came across a box of High School keepsakes. Yes mom, I have some here in addition to what is in your garage!! I really wished Amy or Stacy could have been here on the floor laughing with me. Days of Our Lives pictures, cheerleading skirts, a Whitney Houston cassette.
Then I found the shoebox with some phone numbers on it. 248-5505 ring a bell with anyone? I think I kept every love letter ever written to me. What an ego boost!! Or is it??? Stacy, you may have burned your diaries, but your kids can read your notes to me :-o
I also found some tear jerking names, like birthday cards with my Great Grandma Jen's signature! Letters from both my Grandmas and Nate's mom from when he and I were just dating.
I have a whole other box of letters from the 3 years Nate and I wrote each other from across the world. While those are cheesy in their own right, they are so precious and build my confidence in a more real way. Nate used to call me the "queen of cheese." Well, I hope he's more comfortable with my sap now, because I look at all these old love letters and feel so lucky to have grown up to have him by my side.
My grandma has been in and out of the hospital this last week. Today is her 89th birthday and my grandpa turned 90 last month. As I read love letters of days gone by I don't miss those years of excitment and thrill of a held hand or an xoxo on a page. Instead I picture in my mind my grandparents and the love they have that Nate and I are just beginning to understand!

6 comments:

Linda said...

I'm talking to Amy right now and I just read your note about grandpa and grandma-it made me cry. They surely do have something special.
FYI neither of us recognize that phone number, but it does sound familiar. Can you pinpoint when you had those shoes?

hughesfam said...

Jen- that's my phone number!!!! I wish I could have been there with you. When I got married I threw most of that stuff away, but I still love to occassionally sit down and read all the comments in my yearbook :) I know what you're saying about a love like your grandparents... Mark and I celebrate our 13th anniversary on Tues. (We're going to DC if you feel like taking a road trip) It's really strange how being rocked around together makes our love deeper. This past year with all it's hardships have strengthened our love and commitment to each other. I can only imagine what it will be like in another 50 years.

Jen said...

Congratulations! Have a wonderful trip!

hughesfam said...

My number was 248-5055 not 5505. I don't know whose that one is. Sorry- that was bugging me. I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Hope all is well with you and your adorable family. Have you guys sold the house in CT yet?

Karson said...

OOOOOooh! Reading your blog made me really miss you! I'm sorry for being such a flake about getting together when we were both on the East Coast. rough time. So what's up with the Nomadic lifestyle? A page out of my own book!

Jen said...

oops I did know it was yours, but mistyped in the blog. It's amazing how a number can bring back memories.